Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Storming Guilt

Had this discussion last night with someone, and not sure he got what I was saying. He felt really bad and upset yesterday about his boss who is doing really well, but was disillusioned about the status of his office chars housing. He thought they still lived in shacks, and wanted to do something for them in the Cape storms. My discussion mate felt that his boss was very well off, and had the means to 'change these people's lives' by buying them houses and giving them money. He also felt that his boss was obliged to do something. I did not agree. I tried to explain that I don't believe just because someone has money, they need to give it to the poor previously disadvantaged black people. He has a really good heart and wants to help everybody in need. My issue is just that there is so much apartheid guilt flying around, and allot of people expect you, as a white person, to just give and give because of what a previous government did, about 20 years before we were born!!! This is why I tried to explain that I am just a hard ass, and apartheid was from the 50's to the late 80's. They have had 20 years to blame it for all their issues, but it is over now. You need to get off the apartheid cross, coz we need the wood for fire. Stop blaming apartheid and start bettering yourself, because nobody else is going to do it for you. I tried to explain that I am not going to give anybody, black or white, sympathy or financial help, because I, like most South Africans, work our asses off for what we have in life. I have not "prospered" from apartheid, I worked and earned everything I have. I don't own my own house. I rent a house that also floods when it rains allot. Do I also qualify for a new house bought for me by my boss, or is that reserved for people of colour? Ans is it only for dark coloured people, or can any person of colour claim a house from their boss? I know I sound patronising, but I am tired of hearing about having to give give give to only "some" members of society. When are they ever going to learn to earn money, hold a job and support themselves, if they constantly live off handouts. South Africa has successfully become a hand out country, where we depend on hand outs before we work for ourselves.

No comments:

My Travells