Sunday, June 15, 2008

Hillsong

So went to the opening of the Hillsong Church in Cape Town. Its a Sydney based church who has come to South Africa. I was expecting the normal evangelistic youth type of vibe where there is allot of signing of gospel inspired songs accompanied by a band of young people playing cool rock instruments and rock music. Then a cool young preacher will come up and preach to the masses and everybody will be shouting "amens" and "hallelujah". Well, that was exactly what it was. It was very interesting especially for me, who have been going to the NG Church for the past 30 years. I was extremely uncomfortable in the beginning with the rock like singing and hands in the air worshiping, and even when the preacher was giving his sermon, I was still not comfortable with the hands in the air thing. I do however think this is a great way to get youngsters back in church and get them excited about God. Its the "cool kids church". There were allot of youngsters who looked like they were really enjoying it. I will go back to this church from time to time, but I think it is going to take some getting used to for me, the old traditionalist Afrikaans boy with the Creepy Crawly Christmas tree....

No comments:

My Travells