Monday, February 9, 2009

The Cederberg Weekend

We set off for the Cederberg this weekend, along with two other couples. We only left on Friday night around 11:00, and it is a 3 hour drive. On Friday afternoon at around 17:00 they phoned me from the Cederberg and told me to take a detour because the mountain was on fire and the road was closed, but there was a strong wind and it should be sorted out by the time we arrived. at around 1:30 we hit the dirt road that leads to the holiday resort we were going to. As we drove in, a firefighting car drove out. I stopped them and asked them if the road was ok to travel on, and they said absolutely no problem. We decided to continue. About 20 min into the drive we came across the fire. Flames as high as the car on both sides of the car, making it so hot inside the car, that the aircon couldn't work well enough to cool us down. Flames were licking into the road and flaring up on both sides of the car.

It was very scary for me.

The weekend was amazing. We went to the natural pool and swan in the river, explored the banks and even went for a walk. A 5 hour walk up a mountain and into a gorge that looked like Petra in Jordan, and then back down again. The only problem was that we were suppose to walk for 3 hours and walk in one side of the "crack" and out the other side. It didn't happen that way.

All in all it was a really good weekend and I loved spending it with my family (Esme & Boby), my friends (Kate & Steye) and of course my wonderful man Tristan.

Driving back though we saw the devastation the fire had caused in the beautiful Cederberg valley, leaving it black and scourged.

No comments:

My Travells