Monday, October 6, 2008

Sunday evening on the boat

I was lucky enough to be invited to a reception on board the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier that is in the harbour at the moment. As you can imagine, I was extremely disappointed when we got there and was told the reception was on the pier as the wind was too severe to be on the carrier. However, during the evening there were ferries going to the carrier and back to do tours of the carrier. Naturally I went along on one, risking my life in the rough seas, and had a great time. This is an enormous ship with so many planes and helicopters on board. It has 52 planes on the deck, and another 11 below. Our biggest ship in our naval fleet is the Drakensberg, and it is about 12 tons. This ship is 90 tons. The Drakensberg has a crew of 120, the Theodore Roosevelt has a crew of 4 600. Its huge, its American, and it is very impressive. Here are some pics of the ship.

2 comments:

Tristan said...

And I sat at home doing the ironing.

JCLL said...

I know....and you could have come along!!!! Those blerrie Americans

My Travells