Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Another attack

Yesterday my mother and father were on their way home from fetching my mom at work. Driving the same road they drive every single weekday for the past 8 years. Stopping at a traffic light, the window on my mom's side was broken, shattering glass all over the car, and they grabbed my mom's handbag from her lap. She tried to pull it back but they almost pulled her out of the car. They ran into the bushes with my dad after them, but obviously not catching them. Yet again, my mother, a 60 year old woman, was a victim of crime by someone who is so unfortunate and don't know better. Someone so poor and desperate for our help, that they had to break her window and grab her handbag. Mmmm this sounds more like: "they are white and have more, lets take theirs" to me.

I am starting to hate a lot of things in this country, and I use hate very lightly.....

2 comments:

Tristan said...

That's why I got smash-n-grab tinting on my car windows, not that we need it in Cape Town... But when I worked in Jo'burg 2 girls at work had their windows smashed and handbags taken. And a car window is VERY expensive to replace, most insurances now specify separate excesses on them. They end up covering less than 20% of the replacement cost.

I really feel for your mom, she shouldn't have to deal with something like this. Those f*ckers! Thank God she didn't have a gun shoved down her throat. When will the police start doing their jobs, instead of sitting in the charge office 'doing paperwork' which is code for sitting on their asses!!!!

The police attitude in Jo'burg is Not My Problem... they won't get involved until there is a body to cart away. The same for drunk driving – they only arrest people after an accident. We need PREVENTATIVE policing. I'm writing to the mayor...

Tony said...

I'm so sorry to hear what your mother has been through. I hope she's not too shaken and is back to being calm soon. I shall keep her in my prayers

My Travells