Friday, January 16, 2009

Revolutionaries and Deamons

Apologies for my dinner companions last night, you have heard this story before.

I went to Argentina in 2005 and had the most amazing time of my life. Two things struck me as outstanding character of the Argentinian people. The first was the passion the Argentinians had for life and the conviction to protest against anything they thought to be unfair. Weather it was to them or to the world, they took to the streets, and let everybody know they were not happy. These were not violent protests, just citizens displaying their dismay, and it was such an inspiring thing to see. The people of the country, young and old, rich and poor, all standing together to let themselves be heard. One day maybe we can do that....
The second was all Argentinians share a love for Che Guevara. Now for those who don't know who he was, he was an Argentinian born man, who felt the plait of the poor, oppressed Latin Americans, and went around South America alleviating their struggle. Either from oppression of dictatorship, or from poverty. Ref: The Motorcycle Diaries.

I have always thought Che is an amazing freedom fighter, so had no trouble purchasing a t-shirt displaying his face on it. I wore it proudly all over Buenos Aires and was met with exhilarated exclamations of a nation proud of its most famous son.

We took a trip out to a farm along with some other Spanish speaking tourists, and me with my Che shirt on. After getting evil eye looks from an elderly couple the entire day, the lady finally speaks to me and asks me, in the best American accent I have heard, if i know who the person is I am wearing on my t-shirt. Me being the "well informed" worldly traveller I am tells her that he is one of the most incredible freedom fighters for Latin America and the world!!! The little old lady then starts telling me about her and her husbands life in Cuba as well off Cuban citizens, living the Cuban dream of work, freedom and love, when a young man called Fidel Castro overturned the government of Batista, with the help of Che Guevara.

This marked the start of many years of oppression, murder and torture the couple and their families went through until they finally fled the country for America in the late 70's. She was a very friendly lady, telling me about her horrific life and how much Che Guevara assisted in the executions and torture of many Cuban citizens.

It was only at that stage that the phrase "One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter" really made sense to me.

You don't have to go far to get this kind of paradox. Look at South Africa and our history. Nelson Mandela is widely accepted as one of the most forgiving, wise and loving leaders, but to many South Africans, he is a terrorist that planted bombs and fought against the government.

So should we stop wearing paraphernalia supporting these people who we deem as freedom fighters? No!!! If you believe in something or someone and their ideals, stick to it and be prepared to get blasted from the other side. If you portray these images just to create a stir, or to be fashionable, be prepared to get stoned.

Have your convictions, have your opinion, but for the love of peace and freedom, stick to it!!!!

My Travells