Friday, January 23, 2009

Afrikaans Manners

It is a well known fact that Afrikaans children in South Africa are about 20 times more respectful towards others (specially older folks) and have better manners. Yes, naturally this is in general and there are also some English children with good manners, and some Afrikaans ones with none. But hypothetically speaking. Now I am battling with a situation. I am one of those Afrikaans kids who have been taught to always be respectful and always call anybody older than you "oom" (uncle) or "tannie" (aunt). The problem is however that I have a cousin that I have only met once. Recently I got to see her again. I call her on her name, as I believe she is my cousin. However, I only realised later on that she was almost twice my age. Now do I call her "tannie" or do I keep on calling her by her name? I do call her by her name, but don't feel too comfortable....

Any suggestions

3 comments:

Tristan said...

My aunt (that I call by name) would like you to stop calling her Aunty.

Anonymous said...

why dont u ask her directly? we indians also have these elaborate names for addressing relatives....but the younger onces often prefer being called by their names...

Tony said...

Hell, she must be good if you couldn't notice she was twice your age. What does she use?!

My Travells