Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The world in trouble


I have been watching Sky news this morning, and yes, maybe I shouldn't have done that, but it seems to me that there are a few very big things happening in the world at the moment. The biggest of these is of course the Air France plane going down over the Atlantic ocean. Yes, at first I did think that it landed on the "Lost" island, due to the shroud of mystery around it. In cases like this where an aircraft carrier falls or crashes, people all over the world talk about it, and are affected by it. The question as to why was raised on the radio this morning. I think its because it is such a big amount of people at once that dies, and that you pretty much know that when a plane crashes, the possibility of survival is zero. I think this is why we are so affected by this. It is after all a huge disaster, covered in suspense and mystery. At first the plane disappeared form radar with no contact or mayday, then the lightning theory, and now they cant find the plane. Its a human tragedy of note.

Then there is the GM collapse. Now this affects me in that it makes the world recession a little more real to me. GM was one of the US's greatest independent companies, and was a US icon. Now because people are just not buying any more cars, that manufacturer is going bust. Thousands of jobs will be lost and a icon of our times will be lost. Lucky the South African division is completely independent and is in no trouble financially at all.



I am a little worried about the state of the world today. Maybe I am just upset about the plane crash and the fact that I am in Joburg and not with my family in Cape Town.

No comments:

My Travells