Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Human Nature

I had the privilege once again today to witness human nature at work. Standing at a till point at the local supermarket, there was a lady ahead of me finishing off by paying. The lady behind the till swiped her card and eventually said to her that the swipe machine requested them to phone her bank for authorization. This was when human nature kicked in:

The woman paying was visibly distraught, and kept on saying: "Its a credit card, you don't need authorization". The human nature aspect of her argument was clear when she started defending herself by making it very clear to everybody around her that there is more than enough money in the card and nobody has ever needed to phone for authorization. It was vitally important to her that everyone understood that she had enough money.

She was trying so hard to blame the machine, or the lady behind the till, that she completely lost all sense of reality. She was adamant that a credit card always goes through, and that you never need to phone for authorization. This is the human psyche. She was so concerned that people around her would think that she doesn't have money.

1 comment:

Tony said...

Very true. But I'm resigned to the fact. Due to the travel with my job, every other week my bank puts a 'security hold' on my card as I may use it is 3 different continents in one week. Even though I tell them where I'm travelling, it still happens. I just let them get on with it now and call the bank - and not care what other think.

My Travells