Monday, April 20, 2009

Should I or Shouldn't I

I am in a bit of a dilemma at work at the moment. I am a sales person for a hotel group, and work my ass off from Monday to Friday to get money into the hotels. I have from the beginning of my career stated that I do not work on the weekends. The weekends are mine to spend with my family and friends and to relax from work.

I was asked by my manger to host a dinner and site inspection of one of our hotels on a Saturday night, as the sales rep responsible for the client, is not in the country and neither is my boss. I told her I am sorry but I am not doing it on a Saturday night. Now there is a bit of an issue. I am being branded as the one they cant depend on, and there will be consequences if I keep on refusing to do it.

Our directors are all ex hotel staff, so they just believe that everybody should be on call or available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Its not a legal issue I have now, its a moral issue. There really is nobody to host this dinner, and my boss told me she would never ask me if they had another plan, but they really have nobody at all to do it. Do I say yes now, and sell my soul, or do I stick to my guns and risk getting a warning.

I don't know what to do. I hate compromising where I feel I am loosing, or I compromise an ideal I believe in so strongly, but then you get people who force you to compromise with the imminent threat of "action" against you.

2 comments:

Lady D said...

if it's not in your contract that you may have to do weekend things or host stuff etc, they dont really have a leg to stand on. No chance of a warning. HOWEVER ... it's never seen that way, is it? It's all about being a Team Player or Taking One for the Team etc. It will be a perception thing, irrelevant of if its your job or not.

Maybe you should do it .. but make them understand you are doing it to help them out as they are in a bind - but you are not up for doing it more often.

See it like you are just helping them out - not selling your soul or compromising. This is not a usual thing, hey?

Christiaan van "Hotspur" said...

Luister nou my neef.........
It is quite simple. If you want to get somewhere and make a success of yourself you have to do things you don't always want to. You are working towards something, albeit a better position, more money or just job satisfaction.....whatever the deal, you have to decide if you want to be a go getter and do whatever you need to get there or do you only want to do what you have to and only GET BY for the rest of your life......

Do what you feel is right for you and your future!

My Travells