Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The weather and school

On my way to work today I saw the most heart wrenching thing ever. Stoped at a red light in Adderley street, next to Die Groote Kerk (its in Adderley street), I saw a little girl between 8 and 10 years old, dressed in her school clothes with an umbrella, as it is pelting down, walking to school. The problem is, along with this heavy rain in mid November, there are gale force winds blowing all over Cape Town leaving the streets full of tree left overs. So as this girl walks over the red light (behaviour she sees from grown ups), and barely misses getting killed, she gets to the other side, and tries to turn the corner, but a gust of wind blows and blows her umbrella inside out. So there she is, standing on the corner, a little girl in her maroon tracksuit with a hoody, getting drenched, with an inside out umbrella, still smiling and making her way to school. Even I got a little lump in my throat after seeing that!

No comments:

My Travells