Thursday, November 6, 2008

Joburg Drivers

I thought I got annoyed with Cape Town drivers...until I got to Joburg. At least in Cape Town we stick to the rules of the road, al be it slow. In Joburg, nobody sticks to the rules of the road. They create two lanes where there is really just enough space for one car, they weave through traffic at high speed, the taxis get onto the freeway, in the fast lane and stays there until they die, driving at 40km per hour. Then there are the traffic circles. I will never let anybody ever again tell me that Capetonians don't know how to use a traffic circle. EVERYBODY in Joburg uses traffic circles as a four way stop. GO AND RE-DO YOUR LICENCES. When you get to a traffic circle, you give way to the right, no matter if you stand there for hours waiting for everybody to go past you. Some silly cow nearly T-boned me because she thought it was her turn to go, and then started shouting at me. Joburg drivers need to learn the K53...that's that little book you learn out of to get your licence. Find it in CNA!!!

3 comments:

Tristan said...

I remember very well that when I was trying to buy a copy to learn for my test that CNA didn't have it. They didn't have a map book of Cape Town either.
The staff actually looked at me funny.

Rambler said...

Hehehe... welcome to Joburg! It was quite an adjustment after 10 years in Cape Town. But you get used to it. I recently changed my registration plates from CA to GP and means I've had to learn how to swear loudly, with my hand out the window pulling zaps, and chatting on my mobile at the same time.

Vicious city I tell ya...

JCLL said...

My problem is I am from Joburg, nd have only been living here in CPT for 5 years...but things were never that bad when I was living there, or maybe I was just one of them and did not notice....

My Travells