Thursday, April 22, 2010

London Road


On recommendation of a friend, we went to the new Fugard Theatre last night in District 6 to see a play called London Road.

First on the theatre: It is an old church that has been converted into the most amazing theatre with the best seats ever. They have put padded benches in and it is so cool, and such a nice old building with original walls exposed. Really cool.

Now about the play: It is the story of an old Jewish lady befriending a Nigerian drug dealing woman in her building. The play follows their unique friendship and how it develops. It was so well acted and reflective. It made me chuckle, it made me laugh out loud and it made me very sad, and made me think about my own parents.

The last time I saw a play that was this good, it was called The Syringa tree and was one woman playing the role of about 5 different people including a black driver, and 8 year old girl and her abusive father.

The play is well worth seeing and I recommend it to ALL Capetonians. Its running at the Fugard Theatre until 8 May: C/o Caledon Str and Harrington Str. 021 461 4554

No comments:

My Travells