Friday, July 31, 2009

Lost friends & family

I have been living in Cape Town now for 6 years. Six years of my life, that has taken me away from everything and everybody I know and love in Johannesburg. Make no mistake, I am happy living in Cape Town, and have met unbelievable people here, but my heart still longs for my family and my friends up there.

With the six years passing by, I think of friends I have lost touch with because I don't get to see them often enough. Carl, Graham. I think of friends who have immigrated, and because for the last two years of their lives in SA, I was not around, I have lost touch with them, Cobus. I think of family I have lost, that have passed away, and that I will never see again, and haven't seen in about 3 - 4 years. There is so much I am missing out on my own families lives. I miss my friends who I still have contact with.

I know this is all my own fault. I decided to move to Cape Town, and I could very easily have stayed in touch with everybody. It is just so much more difficult to do when you are not in the same city, and all of my relationships are based on constant physical and mental attention, so I need to be around my family and friends.

I lost another uncle this week. One that could have gone to see while I was in Pretoria last month, but had no time as I was so busy running around with work. Sometimes I hate where my life is, and where my priorities are, but then I have to remember that everything I am, and everywhere I find myself, I have chosen for myself, and I have to live with those choices. Most of the time very happily.

No comments:

My Travells